The winery is located in Lujan de Cuyo, in the northern province oasis, watered by the river Mendoza. The “First Zone” or High Zone of Mendoza River is the oldest area of the province’s wine development is known worldwide as the land of Malbec. It builds on one of the oldest streets linking the departments of Maipú and Luján: Terrada. This unpaved street still maintains a slow movement and a farm environment with the landscape of the wine industry in the last century.
This building complex compact, built in 1901, has the distinction of organizing the various elements: Cellar, Laboratory, House, Harvest Gallery, maneuvering area and transporting flow efficiently to optimize the technical, and logistics. The original ship belongs to wineries calls “temple”, with gabled roofs and openings with arch to which it has attached a kind house “chorizo” with south gallery which controls access and exit of trucks through an ancient scale of sleepers.
Its type of construction is typical of the late nineteenth century, when using thick adobe walls, roofs and mud cake cane. The characteristics of the details of construction and the materials used are among the oldest buildings that incorporated wine by rail technology. Can be appreciated their old loblolly pine wood trusses reaching Mendoza after 1885. The truss is achieved with significant scantlings lights allows more than 10 meters width between supports. The original deck planking and retained a mud cake as insulating layer and finally corrugated sheet.
The indoor climate necessary for the winemaking process is achieved from the earthen architecture with walls about 70 cm wide that boast more than a century of construction. Cross ventilation is specified through openings facing to take advantage of breezes and promote air exchange and temperature control of the main building.
The equipment displays historical elements such as scale, presses and transfer pumps and other details. The barrels and French oak casks that met their utility cycle were recycled to build the main ship joinery. The two levels of pools of thick concrete in the basement and ground floor, built in the second stage, changed the face of the winery primitive and internal movement, arming two main halls and a second working level.
Restoration and enhancement
The characteristics of this property, location, materiality, history, land ownership form and have a high potential technology and culture that allowed its intervention for the same purposes that had been created. The intervention process began with a survey of the state of technology and building components that allowed assessment and develop a project to consolidate and better recognition refunctionalization original virtues.
The main structure was consolidated adobe structurally for seismic resistance, respecting the building systems compatible with Adobe. Compression joined perimeter beams and rose 50 cm deck level to improve the internal operation of the winery. Trusses were restored and lightened the cover retaining all the original timber centuries. The plaster is made of lime galvanized wire mesh and opened the oculus facade ventilation returning east-west breezes.
The vintage gallery maintained its original proportions, was incorporated earthquake resistant structure and contemporary equipment, and remained one of the traditional presses.
The north aisle, primitive hut, the new structure independent of the adobe walls, replaced the old vats and barrels for tanks and reconditioned stainless steel surfaces for maximum asepsis in the production process.
Concrete pools recovered with modern equipment for new wines. Were remodeled internally by project and divided enological for proper scaling. In the basement were restored the two major basins as barrels rooms, ideal for internal climate was strengthened by control equipment temperature and humidity throughout the year.
The new wastewater treatment plant optimizes health control systems and allows the reuse of water for irrigation of fruit trees on the farm.
The original 1926 house holds, along the gallery, all activities in the production setting. There is conditioned a new laboratory, administration and meeting visitors. The atmosphere takes us back in time to enjoy galleries with waxed tile decorated with guards, thatched roof, mud and wood and a cool shade provided by the grapevine.
The enhancement incorporates 2012 -2013, adjusted internal logistics and rescue elements rooted in time and space as tools of environmental and cultural sustainability. The Winery of Fincas Don Martino affirms the old hits maintaining the identity and amount harmonically care the infrastructure that require the wines of the twenty-first century.